I recently just switched jobs and figuring out if I was getting a good deal took me forever. I made this list of all of the factors to consider when it comes to job benefits. Hope it helps you make your decision as well!
- Salary – Not all salaries will be an increase from your previous job, but make sure if you are taking a pay cut that there is high potential to grow in the future
- Bonus – Look out for yearly performance bonus or signing bonus that makes the offer even sweeter
- Stock/Equity – Employee stock or equity for a public company can be very valuable as the company grows, especially for a startup
- 401K match – A good number here is at least 6% match
- Retirement/Pension Fund – Some companies put aside money in a separate account for you apart from your 401k based on years of service. Take advantage of this!
- Vacation – Expect at least 10 days off to start, hopefully more
- Parental Leave – If you plan on having a family, this is important to consider for the long term
- Adoption Leave – If you plan to adopt in the future, make sure you get the same rights as a parent
- Disability – Short term and long term disability is important to consider in case there is an incident that happens in your future like a surgery
- Volunteering Time Off – Is there a sabbatical option? Can you use time off to volunteer and give back to your community?
- Career Trajectory – You want to be able to receive a pay raise and promotion within two to three years
- Office Location – Do you need to move? Increase your rent payment? Ask for relocation if you need it!
- Commuter Benefits – Most companies offer tax free commuter accounts to help make public transportation more affordable
- Health and Wellness Program – Companies offer resources to help support health and well being. Some even offer financial incentives to be healthy.
- Adoption Assistance – Adoption can be expensive and some companies help cover the cost
- Life Insurance – Make sure the company offers a good life insurance plan to secure the future of your loved ones